Visit Florida encourages tourists from across the world to enjoy the below listed intriguing events taking place in several regions of the Sunshine State of US in 2014. We present here the calendar of events for January – February 2014. January:
• International Fort Lauderdale Orchid Show: Celebrating the growth of orchids, this has been a popular event since 1957 and today still serves to educate everyone about orchids, to display exotic exhibits of orchids, and to offer a range of orchid-themed fun, from raffles, artwork, competitions, plant and supply vendors, exhibits, and displays.
*Annual Florida State Fair: A tradition since 1904 in Tampa, this is a celebration of the state’s best in agriculture, industry, entertainment and achievement.
• Florida Renaissance Festival: (February/March) in Deerfield Beach – Ft. Lauderdale: Take a step back in time to the 16th century – complete with hundreds of merchants and artisans in the crafts village, hundreds of performers on more than 12 stages, Celtic music performances, battling knights charging on horseback and sword fighting, middle-ages food, and even the world’s largest rocking horse. http://www.ren-fest.com/
* 76th Edison Festival of Light Grand Parade: (February 15, 2014) Parade starts at 7 p.m. at Edison Stadium and continues to the Fort Myers Downtown River District. During February, Fort Myers celebrates the birthday of its most illustrious historical resident, Thomas A. Edison, in befitting fashion. Edison, who built a home on the banks of the Caloosahatchee River and spent 46 winters there, invented the light bulb. So it’s appropriate that the month of activities culminates with a lighted night parade. Invention competitions, parties, craft shows and a 5K run are all part of the festival. Celebrating 76 years, the month of February is filled with special events. Visit website for details.www.edisonfestival.org
• Boston Red Sox and the Minnesota Twins Spring Training: The Beaches of Fort Myers & Sanibel is the spring training home of the Boston Red Sox and the Minnesota Twins. What could be better than beautiful spring days and great baseball? The destination makes it easy for fans to take advantage of all that it has to offer along with great accommodation deals for spring training. For a complete listing of packages, special rates and information on planning a spring training vacation at Florida’s unspoiled island sanctuary, visit http://www.FortMyersSanibel.com.
• 132nd Silver Spurs Rodeo: (February 21-23, 2014) Catch pulse-elevating events such as bull riding, steer wrestling, saddle bronc riding, bareback riding, and barrel racing, along with crowd-pleasing cowboy clowns, all part of this truly all-American sport. This popular Kissimmee tradition is the largest rodeo east of the Mississippi, and has been run and operated by generations of Kissimmee residents since its start in the 1940s as a way to sell war bonds. Now presented in an air-conditioned venue, the rodeo offers heart-pounding action and is annually ranked among the top 50 events sanctioned by the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association (PRCA). Contact: Silver Spurs Riding Club, PH: 321-697-3495. http://www.silverspursrodeo.com