Bisleri Launches a Plastic Recycling initiative “Bottles for Change”
The initiative aims at educating and changing the behaviour of citizens on efficient disposal and recycling of plastic.
Apart from Bisleri’s mission to ensure access to safe drinking water for every Indian, they also make a conscious effort to keep our environment safe and healthy. It is our endeavour to give back to the environment and the community at large.
This World environment day, Bisleri hosted a press conference to launch “BOTTLES FOR CHANGE”, a Plastic Recycling initiative that focuses on efficient disposal and recycling of plastic. The idea is to create a positive impact on the environment, ensure that it is sustainable and emphasize on the fact that plastic is a versatile material, has an afterlife and can be recycled to make many products like: Furniture (benches, chair), apparels, home decors, accessories and bags etc.
Addressing the audience and media, Mr Aaditya Thackeray, President – Yuva Sena, who has been associated with the cause of #SayNoToPlastic and ban of plastic from our day-today-life, said: There is a need to bring behavioural change in public where we should learn efficient disposal of plastic for the purpose of recycling. Plastic is more harmful to the planet and its people than any other thing, it is important that we pay attention to global warming and reduce the carbon footprint for the green and clean earth. The future needs to be plastic free and in this initiative, Bisleri is playing an instrumental role in bringing up “Bottles for Change”.
Speaking on the occasion, Mr. Ramdas Kadam, Environment Minister, Govt. of Maharashtra said: Environment is everybody’s responsibility. We need to bring in behavioural change towards treating waste particularly plastic and Bottles for Change by Bisleri is a great initiative by Bisleri.
Mr Ramesh Chauhan, Chairman & MD, Bisleri International Pvt. Ltd., launched the initiative by presenting ‘Bottles for Change Kit’ that includes Plastic collection bags, Bottles for change branded Jackets, Caps, posters and other communication material, to the three partnered NGO’s in the initiative.
For this initiative, Bisleri has partnered with 3 NGOs (Parisar Bhagini Vikas Sangh, Sampurna Earth & Garbage Concern Welfare Society) who are associated with the members of “Bottles for Change” across Mumbai to work towards changing behaviour of the communities in valuing plastic as an effective resource. Users of plastic have to simply crush, clean and keep the plastic separate. The members of “Bottles for Change” will pick it up at scheduled days and will take it to their segregation centre. Together with the NGO’s, Bisleri is conducting plastic collection and educational drives for communities, corporates, schools, colleges, and other institutions.
Bottles for Change focus to create a system where the members of “Bottles for Change” pick up plastic from source, segregate it and sell it to the recyclers. The plastic collected & sold is clean and fetches almost 2x more value leading to the upliftment of the lives of members of “Bottles for Change” and their children.
Highlights of BOTTLES FOR CHANGE initiative:
- The program aims to address the plastic issue in a very strategic manner to spread awareness about plastic being a miraculous material that can be recycled multiple times; thereby bringing a behaviour change amongst individuals, ensuring they clean, segregate and dispose plastic effectively which is then recycled and have a sustainable impact on the environment
- The program helps members of “Bottles for Change” to collect large amounts of clean plastic each time, fetching them with the good income that also helps in leading them to a respectable life and support to educate their children
- 24 wards of Mumbai and parts of Navi Mumbai and Thane will be covered by the members of “Bottles for Change”, ensuring effective execution
- Special collection Vehicles, Collection Bins, Toll-free No., Website and a hygiene kit for members of “Bottles for Change” shall be provided by Bisleri Management
Impact of Bottles for Change Programme:
- 3800 Tonnes of Plastic Recycled
- 3,00,000 Students Reached
- 15,00,000 Citizens Reached
- Lives of 2000+ members of “Bottles for Change” Uplifted
- 100+ Corporates Engaged
Bisleri is the most trusted choice for mineral water for the past 50 years. Bisleri has witnessed this successful growth under the leadership of the visionary chairman and managing director, Mr. Ramesh Chauhan. Bisleri has always felt responsible towards the society and Mother Earth, and hence various activities are initiated on regular basis to help preserve the environment.